Search This Blog

Thursday 10 December 2009

ATTITUDES TOWARDS THE BIBLE

I've recently been discussing the Bible with my friend Richard and was surprised to find out he knows someone who makes notes in their Bible to help them understand the scripture. I wanted to blog on this because I'm quite startled both that someone writes in the Bible and by my reaction, which I guess some people might find melodramatic. In fact, I think I sort of do too, actually.

I have never heard of anyone making notes in the Bible before. Perhaps I'm sheltered or naive. I know that when I was studying literature in the sixth form and at university I bought cheap copies of the set texts to make pencil notes in the margins because I found that easier to study with but somehow I never in a million years expected that anyone would consider doing this in the Bible.

For me, even though my Bible was a present and therefore it is my property, I consider this book more God's than mine and if a friend lent me a book from their shelf I wouldn't make notes in it even if I intended to rub them out before I returned it.

I am kind of embarassed to admit this because I think it probably does sound rather melodramatic as I said before, but I actually found myself getting quite upset at the thought of someone writing in the Bible, even though the person is doing it to aid their understanding of their faith.

What do other people think?

No comments:

Post a Comment