Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 January 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR: It had to happen some time

Well, I've done my first really stupid thing of the new year. It was only a matter of time, let's face it. Today I was feeling slightly sorry for myself. I had spent the night on my Mum's couch because of a suspected gas leak at my flat (again), and as a result was suffering from a very sore back and shoulders. I wanted to get some work done on my laptop in the Edwin Waugh, which serves great coffee and offers free wifi to laptop-toting customers but until tomorrow I had only five pounds, and that was in the bank. The post office was shut when I got there hoping to draw out my money, 'Due to unforseen extreme weather conditions.' Why on earth could the post-office staff not do their jobs in the warm when customers and outbound postal staff were perfectly capable of braving the snow?

I digress.

So, I'd carried my laptop bag (which is bloody heavy, let me tell you) all the way into town for nothing, fallen on my backside in the snow, and was generally very fed up. I decided to treat myself to a cheering-up coffee and meal in Morrisons cafe instead (they DO accept card payments, unlike the Edwin Waugh).

This was about 3.30pm so imagine my total shock, upon finishing my omelette, mushrooms and beans, to find a text message on my phone that had apparently arrived at ten past eight! Had I really been in the cafe for almost five hours?! I stared at the phone for a good five minutes, totally puzzled before it dawned on me: '2010' was the year the text message was sent, not the time. And Morrisons would have shut at 8pm, anyway. Happy 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment