Search This Blog

Sunday 4 April 2010

Why I deserve chocolate every day for a week....

I found a lot of slug slime on my rolykit, which I keep in the boiler cupboard, so I was going to disinfect it. The only problem was that when I opened the rolykit up just to double-check on things, the slug was still inside! It was huge and it looked unwell, and slugs look bad enough when in fine fettle!

Now, I have had an insane problem with slugs ever since childhood to the extent that I still occasionally have nightmares about them and the thought of including a picture of one here made me feel physically ill. My first reaction because of this phobia was to throw the rolykit in the dustbin outside. I soon realised that this was stupid because the rolykit itself had cost me £15 and I need the contents and couldn't afford to just chuck it all out (I've everything from stationary to art equipment, make-up and sewing materials in there).

My second urge was to ring someone to get them to come and get rid of it for me but then I realised that by the time they came the slug may well have managed to climb out onto the carpet, which would have been worse, at least in my head, anyway. On reflection, I think the reason the slug was dying was that it had perhaps crawled into the rolykit through the titchy hole near the fastener but then couldn't get out again. Serves it right; horrid little blighter.

Anyhow, it was obvious I had to get rid of it myself, which I did with an empty toilet roll card tube, with great difficulty. I was cringing the whole time and convinced I was going to be sick but I managed it. I rushed back into the house and quickly disinfected the rolykit and dashed into the bathroom to wash my hands.

By now the adrenalin was going round me like the clappers because I'd just had to do something that to me, is utterly unthinkable normally, and I didn't stop shaking until I'd chatted to two friends on the phone, done the washing up, had a peppermint tea and four packets of sweets, and made a casserole, all of which took over an hour.

Needless to say, there is no salt left for my chips now, as it's all in the boiler cupboard in case yesterday's invader was only a scout.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! I'm sorry, but that's a great story, especially the end.

    I used to have an almost paralyzing phobia of slugs. Then I moved into a house where slugs regularly congregated on my garage wall and I had to deal with it. So I began using humor, talking about how it was a "slugfest." I created an instant messenger ID called "Photogenic Slug" (the photogenic part being just for the sake of being random). I wrote that my occupation was a counselor to slugs and that I had been chairperson for the 1999 Summer Slugfest, things like that. I wrote a poem about a conversation with a slug for one of my poetry classes.

    Within a few weeks I was over my phobia and even rescued a slug that got tangled up in some dog hair in the garage. Once I personified them, I was able to view them with compassion. They don't know they are horrid things. lol.

    Just an idea, if you ever want to try it. You and I tend to be equally odd - I can totally see this tactic working for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Great idea Naomi! And glad you got over your phobia. :)

    ReplyDelete